Sunday, September 26, 2010

brave little tree



Saturday, September 25, 2010. c. 4:15 PM

I was walking back to Lausanne with a friend of mine when we noticed some of the paved road looked a little…off. I looked closer, and it looks like the roots of a tree next to the road just south of Lausanne were beginning to poke through the pavement. I’ve seen sidewalks pushed up literally feet into the air by roots, but I had never before seen roots at this early stage of pushing through pavement. (I added a picture of where precisely the tree is, relative to Laussane, so that it will be easy to find.)

I think this will be an interesting thing to look back on in ten years – will the tree’s roots have prevailed in breaking free of their cement confines, or will the evil Willamette groundskeepers have cut down the tree to preserve the integrity of the cement path?

No comments: