Sunday, September 26, 2010

The Leaf Hunt Is On



Today was my first official leaf hunting day. Although fall is my least favorite season I do love to collect leaves. These leaves came from around campus, between campus and Safeway, and between campus and the waterfront. I usually try to only take one leaf from each tree
I pass so I don't look like a walking shrubbery. I pressed these leaves under my numerous text books (I knew all those books were good for something!) I used the Internet to identify each leaf. The far right yellow leaf came from a Birch. The second to the right came from a Sweetgum. The third from the right came from a Maple. The middle (and top left leaf) in the picture on the left came from a Sycamore tree. All the rest are Maple.
Trees lose their leaved depending on the amount of sunlight they get. I do not recall if the Birch tree was shaded but I found it downtown so it is highly probable. A shaded Birch would lose its leaves sooner than a Birch in the sunlight which explains why I only have one leaf.

No comments: