Monday, September 27, 2010

Bugs!

As I sat on the bench at Bush park, absorbed in the lives of the squirrels I watched, time seemed to zip by and before I knew it the sun was starting the fall behind the trees casting an orange hew into the air. The faded sunlight illuminated the bugs in the air more vividly than I had ever seen before. There were bugs everywhere! Tiny mosquitoes and flies zooming around my head, crane flies patrolling for food, and some bugs that were so small I couldn't tell what there were, I could only see their shifting cloud move amongst the trees. I think I saw a damselfly or two in the mix as well. There were shrill buzzes, low hums, quiet rhythms, and obnoxious squeaks surrounding my bench. But none of these sounds or sight seemed especially unfamiliar, I had just never really paid attention before. We live in a bug metropolis.

No comments: