Tuesday, September 28, 2010

SQUIRREL SEX!

I was on my way back to my dorm from eating dinner at Goudy commons, when I spotted Erin and Kaliko taking tree pictures for their blog posts. They invited me to tag along with them and join in on the fun. I didn't have anything else extremely important to get to, so I decided to join.
We had barely gone 10 yards when Kaliko and I noticed something quite odd; there were 2 squirrels that appeared to be running around a tree and fighting...atleast that's what it looked like at first. Upon viewing the squirrels tackling eachother for a while longer we soon realized that there was only one squirrel attacking another. I couldn't help but wonder if the 2 squirrels were quarling over the tree as a means of territory, or if there were some bits of food laying around that we couldn't see. However, when we saw one squirrel mounting the other and flexing its tail, I realized that that was not the case. I stole Erin's camera while climbed down from the tree she had been sitting in and tried to take a picture, but alas, it was too dark and the shutter speed to slow. We watched and lauged at the squirrels as ran around the tree until the male managed to tackle the female down from it and mount her again. Then suddenly, 2 more squirrels popped out of nowhere and started participating in the same act running around the same tree! Something about this tree must have been attracting the squirrel couples to it. It almost looked like a scene kids would see on Looney Toons back in the day; what a sight to see on the way back from dinner.

No comments: