Saturday, September 25, 2010

The Fight

In the midst of skyping a friend, my neighbor down the hall bursts into my room to tell me about an amazing sight to see out the second floor window. Now I know to most people this sight may not have been fascinating, but I was awe struck. Out the window there was a perfectly huge circular web. On this web a huge tan colored almost transparent looking skinned spider had just caught its first victim, a true bug from the order Hemiptera. Suddenly, another victim is caught, struggling in the web. The spider quickly rushes over to wrap up this insect in a web cocoon. To do this, the spider holds on to the web with two legs and uses the others to quickly rotate the insect. Since this insect was so small it could not put up much of a fight. However, the true bug has now almost broken out of its webbed cocoon. The spider quickly lurches toward the true bug and wraps it up again. I think that the spider will keep doing this until the true bug tires out.

No comments: