Sunday, September 26, 2010

While leaving the hot springs, still groggy from lack of sleep, we decided to stop at Niagara Falls, a leg of the river below Detroit Lake, and jump in the icy water to try and shake our daze. We swam in the water and laid on the rocks in the disappearing sun. As I was dozing off, I noticed a cluster of a few different types of ferns. I identified the first two as sword fern and maidenhair fern from our latest saunter around campus with Dave, but the third one I didn't recognize. I called my friend over who knows many things about the woods. He cut a slice of its root off and gave it to me to chew on. It had strange crystals on it and the inside tasted exactly like licorice. This unknown plant with bright green frawns was apparently a licorice fern and now I understand why it has that name!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Who went on this trip? Next time you go adventuring the Oregon Wild, let me know!