Sunday, September 26, 2010

Just Thinking...

As I sat in one of those white chairs upstream the Mill Race on overcast, drizzling Friday two weeks ago passing the time before a short football practice I just watched the river run. I knew we were supposed to be making natural observations at that time and I just took in my surroundings. Leaves were slowly falling from a tree a little more upstream and making their way down towards my position. I pictured the scene blown up in scale by 100x, what a crazy white water rafting trip that would make if twelve of us climbed onto that giant leaf. It darted around rocks, bounced over more mellow rapids, and finally when it was directly in front of my line of sight, it was pulled under by the current. I watched it underwater, rooting it on to resurface. Eventually it did not that far downstream. I got to thinking that our human nature has the same properties as that leaf. The human spirit is buoyant. In many cases we are pulled underwater, in over our heads in some problem or another. But in a matter of time, our buoyancy pulls us back to the surface again.

No comments: