Monday, September 20, 2010

Sept. 18, 2010: Quiet Descends

Saturday, September 18th, 7:50 pm

The leaves are starting to turn orange, although overall the campus remains a lush and vibrant green. It seems that most birds have departed for warmer climates, and the squirrels are growing fatter in preparation for winter. I miss the squabble of chickens from back home; it feels so quiet. Even the crows seem subdued, although that may be the fault of the rain. I found the exoskeleton of a crayfish in the Mill Stream on Friday, but aside from the ducks, I've seen no other animal life within the water. Do the ducks fly south for the winter too? I fear the campus would grow painfully silent without them.

I realize we're not supposed to 'copy' each others' ideas, but I had an interesting slug encounter Friday night. While walking to Matthews, one long beast crossed my path, towing another, smaller one on its tail. Were they mating? Was one ill? I have no idea, but I like to think that they had some sort of cooperative relationship going.

No comments: