Sunday, September 26, 2010

Unnoticeable

I was walking with my friend in downtown Portland when I noticed a pigeon in our path. It didn't seem like anyone even acknowledged the pigeon as they walked by. The small animal seemed as though he had to get out of the way for everyone. As we approached the bird my friend was talking to me and completely wasn't paying attention to the pigeon. She came within an inch of stepping on the poor creature and the pigeon didn't move and she didn't even notice. As soon as we passed the animal I told her that she almost stepped on it and she looked back and started laughing and told me that they aren't noticeable at all in big city. This instantly reminded me of Crow Planet and how animals such as crows or pigeons have adapted to be more comfortable with humans. I don't think that the pigeons are noticeable in a big city because they are one of the very few creatures to be spotted in a city. However, if it was an animal that stood out more, such as a bear, then people would probably all notice it. People and "city" animals have both adapted to seeing each other and are both very comfortable with each other; thus, humans rarely notice such small creatures.

No comments: