Thursday, September 23, 2010

Woo!

I went down to the mill run today to measure how deep the water was. I decided I'd need a spot that was repeatable so I choose the edge of the steps in Jackson Plaza all the way to the left side if you are looking at the steam. I measured the water to be 2 1/4" deep when i pushed the end of the tape measure down into the mud and to the ground. I also decided to measure from the top of the step down to the water, 22", so one day I can check if any erosion occur ed in this spot. I choose this particular spot because it is any easy place to map out and therefore easily repeatable. Also, it has a lower current in that spot because the stream opens up there, so I can contrast erosion here with a spot that gets a higher current.
The next spot I choose was up stream from my first spot. If you walk over the bridge from Jackson Plaza and turn right to walk between the mill run and Rogers there is a large rock in the stream. This rock is distinguishable because it is the first large rock all by itself in the middle of the stream and it is large enough to stand on it. This spot gets a much stronger current And is a good repeatable area. So, when I began to figure out how to do the measurements I looked at the rock and noticed that it came to a point that faces upstream. I measured running my tape down from that point and got the depth of the water to be 9 1/4". Also, to measure from the top of the rock to the surface I put my notebook on the rock and measure from my book to the bottom and got 20 3/4".

1 comment:

Erin said...

We were talking about the stream in my history class and the prof said that the water level in the Mill Stream is regulated so during important events the water level is higher than during normal everyday classes. He also said that they buy the ducks every year. They used to get swans but the swans would attack people so they stopped that. Sorry to put a damper on your observation.