Monday, September 27, 2010

Patient Predator

After my physical therapy this morning I came back to my dorm room and sat on my bed. I gazed outside at the top of a tree that is level with my fourth floor balcony. I noticed a few flies circle around and didn't think much of it. Then I noticed there was a leaf that was just dangling in mid air. I went outside to my balcony to check it out. As I examined it further I could tell that it was attached to one web of a spider. I spotted the spider. He was sitting in his web in the tree waiting for something. I recalled seeing the flies flying around and thought that maybe he was waiting for one of the flies to be captured by his trap. I must of startled him because he climbed off his web and onto the branch where he hid behind a leaf for quite some time. I waited a few minutes to see if a fly would fly into his web but it never did and I eventually grew tiresome of waiting. The spider doesn't have the luxury of just walking away like I did because he has to eat. The small arachnid doesn't have the privilege of eating whenever he wants like we do. He has to have patience.

No comments: