Thursday, September 23, 2010

Odd Duck Behavior?

September 22nd, 7:00pm

I was on my way back to my dorm from eating at Goudy and was walking over the Mill Stream bridge when I noticed the local mallard ducks committing a rather odd practice: instead of sunning themselves or swimming around (as is considered common duck behavior), literally every mallard in the mill stream had lined up in perfectly straight lines facing the stream's current and was doing what lookedlike poking around in the bottom of the stream for food. There were 2 groups of mallards, one closer to the brige and one a tad farther away. Both groups consisted of roughly 10 ducks, all of whom were acting the same way. I was mildly confused; I had raised ducks for most of my childhood years and had never seen them act quite like this before. I stood on the bridge, captivated, and watched them for a few minutes until I remembered that I should probably be heading back to my dorm. Before I left, however, I used my phone to take a picture of the strange sighting.

No comments: