Monday, September 20, 2010

Sept. 19, 2010: Water and Lack Thereof

Sunday, September 19th

9:52 am
Stepped outdoors at eight, and the rain began to pour in earnest. I stood under the cover of Rogers' rear entrance, observing the fact that while I could see blue sky and sunlight, I found no rainbows. Left to walk around in the downpour, which by the time I reached Goudy had all but let up. Sunlight gave the moist quad a dazzling brilliance. I was saddened to see that the rain had no evident effects upon the water level of the Mill Stream. I may start taking records of the levels to confirm my findings, if only I can find my ruler. I also want to record rainfall and compare it with the levels at home. The campus needs more drainage, particularly on the 'Hatfield Bridge' and Jackson Plaza. Extra deep puddles accumulated in these two areas, and my sneakers grew sadly damp as I splashed around in them. Even after the clouds had cleared, individual rainstorms seemed to occur under the trees as condensation continued to succumb to gravity's call.

Walking back to Matthews, I noted the sidewalk was littered with earthworms, although some were identifiable only as small lumps of pinkish mush. I now sit in the Fishbowl and randomly venture outside to stare at the sky, much to the puzzlement of my study partner. The clouds are returning, although there is no more rain as yet. There's a slight breeze in the air, and the humidity seems to be rising. Staring at the horizon, I note dark clouds looming in a rather ominous pattern. It looks like it will rain again.

10:00 pm
I saw a crow with interesting orange markings on the top of his neck while standing outside Kaneko. The ducks seem to be increasing in vibrancy, with the males now clearly identifiable. As I predicted, the rain returned, but not for some hours after my initial observation. To my shock, the Mill Stream has decreased dramatically in depth, despite the rain we've been getting. Why? I have no idea, but I'm horribly curious on the subject. I witnessed an apparently painful (and somewhat sad, due to the lack of water) Mill Streaming, and joined in the chorus of 'Happy Birthday', much to the chagrin of the ducks, who promptly swam away. I also saw my first fish in the stream today, tiny minnows, although they too swam away the moment they were spotted. Tomorrow I will take some bread and see if I can't coax them out of hiding.

No comments: