Sunday, September 26, 2010

What I Missed

In the process of thinking about what is truly nature, I found a sight unseen. Everyones’ definition of nature is completely different. While contemplating what the definition of nature is with my friend Katie, who was willing enough to venture on my challenge of finding nature, I began to talk with my hands. As I waved my arm across the skyline I suddenly noticed how tall the trees across the mill stream from the bistro truly are. This caused me to have an epiphany. I began to wonder how much I truly miss when I am looking around. I had never noticed before that I usually only look at the bottom half of these trees, creating a background behind the Adirondack chair. From this realization I began to look at what I had noticed. There were four tall trees, probably Douglas Firs. Three of these trees were of the same height while one was a noticeable amount shorter. These trees had large trunks and their foliage seemed full. As the sunset behind these trees into a purple hue, I began to think about how many other sights I may have missed. I have a bad habit of looking at my feet when I walk, so really most of what I see has to crawl along the ground. How many beautiful birds have I missed? From all of this what I feel like I truly learned is that I need to take time to look around me completely, both up and down.

No comments: