Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Runaway

Theresa Barosh
My eyes follow the orange balloon up next to the tall green and yellow speckled tree and beyond toward the clouds. It floats against the blue sky, contrasting in a beautiful way as opposing colors often do. Then the light clouds become the background, letting the orange appear as vibrant as any balloon should be while it bobs happily. A nearby photographer says, "there is the perfect picture."
Someone replies, "I love it when balloons get let go. I mean it's bad for the environment, but the way they look..."
Now heads are pointed upward toward the ballon as it becomes smaller and smaller. We sit outside of the UC as people walk by. The balloon goes slightly North of East toward the library. I watch it's journey until it becomes a dot disappearing behind the library. I wonder where it will land: a nest, a lake, someone's house, a road... How far will it go? Might some creature choke on it? Or is it more likely to be picked up by a trash collector?
Looking in the opposite direction, to the West, I see the low sun again. The light over the campus in the evening must set the mood for me. Seeing the Mill Stream, the changing trees, and the birds flying by... I feel more curious and amazed in the evening at Willamette.

No comments: